|Colorado state flag|
- The colors on the Colorado flag stand for the red soil, white snow-capped mountains, blue skies, and golden sunshine.
- In the Centennial State's southwest corner you can stand in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado at the same time.
- Colorado's state flower is the white and lavendar columbine, the bird is the lark bunting, and the tree is the blue spruce.
Books and Activities:
- You can download a labeled coloring sheet of the lark bunting here.
- You can find a complete Colorado Unit Study with links galore here.
- The Royal Gorge Bridge, 1,053 feet above the Arkansas River is the world's highest suspension bridge. You can learn more about it and see breathtaking images here.
- The Santa Fe Trail runs through the state, and after gold was discovered near Pikes Peak in 1858, covered wagons nicknamed "prairie schooners" began displaying the slogan "Pikes Peak or Bust." Cornerstones of Freedom: The Story of the Conestoga Wagon is a good resource for learning more about these covered wagons.