I made this advent calendar a few years ago from a Making Memories kit. It has 25 little drawers ready to fill. One year, I filled them with candy, one year I filled them with tiny plastic birds, one year was tiny ornaments, and last year was little strips of paper with activities written on them. I'm down to the wire this time, but I'll hopefully have a plan by tomorrow for this year's countdown. The activities were a big hit last year, so I'll most likely go that route again. And, the drawers don't all have to be filled too far in advance, so I can add activities based on our schedule. Here are some of last year's ideas:
1. Go see Santa.
2. Make cat toys using pom-pons, bells, and elastic string for the kitties' Christmas.
3. Decorate the gingerbread house.
4. Make gingerbread men.
5. Decorate paper bag luminaries.
6. Make ornaments--we did several different ones on different days, using cardstock, stamps, and glitter glue; painting wooden shapes; styrofoam ball snowmen.
7. Drop some change in the Salvation Army bucket.
8. Volunteer at our local charity filling Christmas gift bags for kids in the area.
9. Pack and mail a soldier care package.
10. Go see Christmas lights.
11. Make place card cone trees for the family Christmas party.
12. Learn Christmas songs on the guitar and drums to play at the family Christmas party.