Thursday, September 22, 2011

DIY: Pumpkin Pie Playdough


   My mom made playdough for my brother and me when we were kids, and I always liked it better than the store bought kind.  It is softer, you can make it almost any color you want, and it is like heaven to play with when it is still warm.  I've played around with her recipe to vary it for the seasons, and this one was a hit in our house:

Pumpkin Pie Playdough
{Smells good enough to eat, but don't!}

2 cups plain flour
2 cups water
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup salt
1 tsp. pumkin pie spice
a few drops orange food coloring

   In large frying pan, mix all ingredients over medium/low heat until it thickens.   Keep stirring until a soft ball forms.  Remove from pan and let cool a bit, then knead until smooth.  You can either add the food coloring straight in, or mix it with the water first to make it easier to blend.  My kids like me to wait until it is cooked and then add a couple of drops of food coloring straight to the dough so they can knead it and watch it blend.  Store in airtight containers in fridge.

---If you need a gluten-free homemade playdough alternative, try this recipe, and let me know how it turns out.

1 comment :

Amanda said...

I am a new follower please follow me back at lefthandedideas.com