We looked out the window at the fog covering the mountains, and the blanket of clouds covering the earth.
It's raining cats and dogs today, and even the dog won't go out without his raincoat. J-man put a jar out on the steps this morning to see how much rain he can catch.
We watched the drops of water racing down the window, and tried to count the colors of the rainbow in our prism.
We listened to the sound of the rain on the roof and against the window and talked about the sounds we heard outside, like the way the rain sounds coming through the branches, the splat of it hitting the steps and the pavement, and the singing birds dancing in the treetops.
Some of our favorite books for learning about rain:
- Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study
- What Will the Weather Be? (Lets-Read-And-Find-Out Science)
- The Storm Book (Charlotte Zolotow)
- Nature Activities Weather Watcher
- Eric Sloane's Weather Book
- The Handy Weather Answer Book
|Rainy view from the back porch|